Here is my experience installing the Exotek 22 Steering Conversion Kit.
Breaking down the front end was pretty straight forward. This was my first time taking apart my TLR 22SCT and I was impressed with the ease once I had things figured out. After about 20 minutes I was ready to start putting things back together.
Installing the servo horn was easy. The kit will allow you to use an aluminum horn or the stock plastic horn. If your servo has small tabs in between the mounting holes, you will be required to remove them and make this area flush. I used a Dremel Tool to remove the tabs on my servo.
The Exotek servo mounts were next. It was nice to be able to replace the stock plastic with aluminum mounts. I also noticed that the servo is now a little further back, which required me to relocate my receiver a little bit.
I was now required to trim the side rails of my 22SCT. I found it easier to remove them from the truck and use a Dremel and a hand file. The instructions say this area should be 5.5 mm. This required me to use my Digital Caliper to ensure an accurate measurement. This part took me about 20 minutes as I was trying to be extra careful. In the picture, the side rail on the left hasn’t been trimmed and the one on the left was trimmed according to the instructions.
The servo post and the Exotek steering system went together very easy, with the instruction sheet doing a great job. You will be required to use some of the Ball Ends from the stock assembly, so don’t throw it away too fast. My steering link needed to be shortened to 32mm to match the instruction sheet, which required me to do a little filing.
I put all of this on the truck and moved on to shaving the upper bulkhead to allow clearance for the steering link ball cup and the servo horn. This was a slow process and it will be easy to go too far, take your time and frequently check your clearances. After what seemed like an eternity, but was only 10 minutes, I tightened things up and I was done.
In closing I will say the instruction sheet is great. It has big clear pictures, accurate descriptions and even provides you with tips on how to complete a task, or where to add spacers so you can change things such as Bump Steer and Link Angles. The build was made easier with things like the Digital Caliper, Hand Files and the Dremel Tool. You will also use a small amount of black grease along the way.
Exoteck did an excellent job on the fit and finish of the Steering Rack Conversion Kit, everything went together smoothly. The Aluminum looks great and adds some durability.
This project took me about 90 minutes to complete and could easily be done in well under an hour. Keep in mind I was taking notes, pictures and playing Seinfeld reruns in the background. It was a fun build and I experienced no problems. Still to come, my final thoughts after I have a chance to run the new system.
You can read my First Impressions HERE.
UPDATE: Final Thoughts and Review can be found HERE.